Thursday 21 November 2013

My Learning Experience at the Village of Learning

Caught in the act!
Hi, my name is Nathan Bakewell. I work for SpellerMetcalfe Major Works. I am currently in my third year of a Construction Management degree from Nottingham Trent University. In June 2013 I joined SpellerMetcalfe on a year long placement. In September, I joined the project team on site at the Habberley Learning Village.

When I arrived, the works were well underway! I am based on the Wyre Forest Special School, but I often get involved in the projects on the Weekly Boarding and Science Block. My role is to support the Project team in a variety of ways. I have spent a lot of time with Neil Carlson, SpellerMetcalfe's Engineer. I have carried out surveys, setting out, level checks and helped with the on going quality assurance. I have found that working alongside Neil, I have a better understanding of the drawings and specifications required on this project. 

During the month of October, I was assigned the task of organising and overseeing the work at the electrical substation during the school half term. During this period, Western Power Distribution replaced the transformer and feeder pillar. We installed the new feeds for the Special School, Early years hub and installed a duct for the all-weather pitch feed.

I am grateful for the support that I have received from the project team, not just SpellerMetcalfe employees, but others on site who have been available to answer my questions.

I look forward to the future on this project! If you are on site then feel free to come and say hello and introduce yourself to me. I share an office with Neil Carlson.

No comments:

Post a Comment